Date(s) - Tuesday, November 7, 2017
Institute of Public Administration
Facilitators Aisling Foley & Bríd McGrathMake a Booking →
This course provides an introduction to social media for librarians. The course is highly participative and covers social networking, social bookmarking, social media for images and managing your social media presence. Participants will also learn key skills in Twitter (tweeting, hashtags, lists, advanced searching for Tweets, analytics &c.), the value of other resources, such as Tumblr, Instagram, Snapchat, Soundcloud, Litsy and Wattpad for libraries, using social media for recording activities and how to cite social media resources.
Social media is highly relevant in a number of areas such as raising the profile of your library, communicating with your users and resource discovery and curation.
The course will be practical and participative, with practical work in every session. Participant numbers are limited to 18, to ensure individual attention.
- 09.15 Registration and Introductions
- 09.30 Introduction to Social media for libraries
- 10.00 Social Networking for libraries (Facebook, Google+, Linkedin, Twitter)
- 11.00 Tea/Coffee
- 11.15 Social Networking for libraries continued (practical session)
- 12.30 Lunch
- 1.15 Social media for reader development (Lisy, Wattpad, citations)
- 2.00 Social media for audio-visuals (Pinterest, Flickr, Tumblr, Youtube, Vimeo, Instagram, snapchat, podcasting)
- 3.00 Tea / coffee
- 3.15 Managing your social media presence (Hootsuite)
- 4.00 Questions & Answers / Evaluation
Bookings are closed for this event.